Self-hosted cloud services are here!
Have you heard about The Cloud? Some people know what it is others don’t and more so only have half an idea and a lot of fear. Vontainment can help make the cloud work for you whether it is on a professionally hosted server or if we set you up a server on-site so you can have your cloud on-premise. The options are there and we can help you leverage the power of the cloud but keep control. Small businesses now have the option of self-hosted cloud services.
2020 is going to bring even more exciting opportunities for small businesses
Today’s modern AES encryption is actually unbreakable. Sadly thanks to the government and companies hosting our data in the cloud there are back-doors and flaws that have let hackers in. There are now self-hosted and government standard encryption, open-source frameworks for setting up a self-hosted version of Google Drive or Dropbox.
Self-hosted cloud services
We can set you up either on a professionally hosted server or on your own (if you have one, if not we can help you get one) You can break all the rules when it is your cloud service. We set one up for MLAviation.org. They needed to share large directories of hundreds of files near 20 or more gigs. No current commercial solution worked. Their self-hosted solution was a perfect fit. As it was theirs and their rules there were no file limits on uploads. The desktop sync client would upload their files to the server and after that their clients could log in and view anything shared to them. If they needed to download all their files it would download as a nice zip in the browser. And all the time being encrypted to the highest standards!!!
Open-source frameworks make the could reachable for small businesses
We can provide many types of cloud services. From intranets that are on your local network, to online and services that bridge the two. Some online cloud services we can integrate into your website that replace a 3rd party or desktop software and can streamline your business flow such as:
- Booking systems (check-out https://theswimdoctors.com/ )
- Invoice and quotation system such as we use. w/ or w/out credit card processing and or full billing and financial management. (Handle all your finances right from any computer, phone or tablet. As well as create accounts with custom permissions to delegate to others for help or simply so your accountant can write the checks or do the taxes.
- We can create a time management/billable hour, tracker. Totally useable from your phone, tied into your invoices.
- Create a client area or project management. A place for paperwork, contracts, online document signing,
- Employee schedules on a private employee-only portal. It could be used to request vacation time, sick days, even a place to store their W2s. Safe, encrypted and private.
- Self-hosted email servers; either professionally hosted or on your own in house servers. A great way to keep your email secure, and to control your spam filters to a more advanced level. No more junk mail.
- Online chat and support ticket systems.
Vontainment has always been about security first!
Every website we make uses HTTPS:// for SEO as well as security and includes the following security features:
- Software firewall & antivirus. Prevents hackers, if any malware or hacks are successful and site files are changed the antivirus immediately restores the website’s original files and the firewall blocks the hacker.
- We use the free tier of https://cloudflare.com on all our sites to speed uploading, make sure uptime is 100%, prevent over 10 types of attacks and adds a second physical firewall between the site and any possible hackers. (mattering on clients’ needs we may suggest a paid tier, but their free plan is best for most small or medium businesses.)
- All code is optimized, kept updated, cleaned, patched and secured to the best of our abilities (And our abilities are a lot) We take pride in security.
- All sites are backed-up twice daily as the last resort if all else failed.
Popular uses for cloud services
- Infrastructure as a service (IaaS) and platform as a service (PaaS)
When it comes to IaaS, using an existing infrastructure on a pay-per-use scheme seems to be an obvious choice for companies saving on the cost of investing to acquire, manage and maintain an IT infrastructure. There are also instances where organizations turn to PaaS for the same reasons while also seeking to increase the speed of development on a ready-to-use platform to deploy applications.
- Private cloud and hybrid cloud
Among the many incentives for using the cloud, there are two situations where organizations are looking into ways to assess some of the applications they intend to deploy into their environment through the use of a cloud (specifically a public cloud). While in the case of test and development it may be limited in time, adopting a hybrid cloud approach allows for testing application workloads, therefore providing the comfort of an environment without the initial investment that might have been rendered useless should the workload testing fail.
Another use of hybrid cloud is also the ability to expand during periods of limited peak usage, which is often preferable to hosting a large infrastructure that might seldom be of use. An organization would seek to have the additional capacity and availability of an environment when needed on a pay-as-you-go basis.
- Test and development
Probably the best scenario for the use of a cloud is a test and development environment. This entails securing a budget, setting up your environment through physical assets, significant manpower and time. Then comes the installation and configuration of your platform. All this can often extend the time it takes for a project to be completed and stretch your milestones.
With cloud computing, there are now readily available environments tailored for your needs at your fingertips. This often combines but is not limited to, automated provisioning of physical and virtualized resources.
- Big data analytics
One of the aspects offered by leveraging cloud computing is the ability to tap into vast quantities of both structured and unstructured data to harness the benefit of extracting business value.
Retailers and suppliers are now extracting information derived from consumers? buying patterns to target their advertising and marketing campaigns to a particular segment of the population. Social networking platforms are now providing the basis for analytics on behavioral patterns that organizations are using to derive meaningful information.
- File storage
Cloud can offer you the possibility of storing your files and accessing, storing and retrieving them from any web-enabled interface. The web services interfaces are usually simple. At any time and place, you have high availability, speed, scalability and security for your environment. In this scenario, organizations are only paying for the amount of cloud storage they are actually consuming, and do so without the worries of overseeing the daily maintenance of the storage infrastructure.
There is also the possibility to store the data either on or off premises depending on the regulatory compliance requirements. Data is stored in virtualized pools of storage hosted by a third party based on the customer specification requirements.
- Disaster recovery
This is yet another benefit derived from using cloud-based on the cost-effectiveness of a disaster recovery (DR) solution that provides for faster recovery from a mesh of different physical locations at a much lower cost than the traditional DR site with fixed assets, rigid procedures and a much higher cost.
Backing up data has always been a complex and time-consuming operation. This included maintaining a set of tapes or drives, manually collecting them and dispatching them to a backup facility with all the inherent problems that might happen in between the originating and the backup site. This way of ensuring a backup is performed is not immune to problems such as running out of backup media, and there is also time to load the backup devices for a restore operation, which takes time and is prone to malfunctions and human errors.
Cloud-based backup, while not being the panacea, is certainly a far cry from what it used to be. You can now automatically dispatch data to any location across the wire with the assurance that neither security, availability nor capacity is an issue.
While the list of the above uses of cloud computing is not exhaustive, it certainly gives an incentive to use the cloud when comparing to more traditional alternatives to increase IT infrastructure flexibility, as well as leverage on big data analytics and mobile computing.
If you’re looking to make your website more than just a poster
Let Vontainment help you, it just starts with a call or an email. We can discuss some of your wants, needs, desires, and options. Come set up an appointment for a consultation and come see us or we can come to see you. Let us take your business and website to the next level with cloud services that you can trust and control.
Are you interested in getting a personalised quote on the services you desire or in setting up a free meeting to discuss your needs and options?