Ever wondered what the “Cloud” is all about? Imagine a bunch of remote servers hanging out in cyberspace, holding onto your data and apps so you don’t have to cram everything into your local computer or server. It’s like having your digital life accessible anytime, anywhere, as long as you’ve got internet. The cool part? You can dial up or down your resources as needed, and say goodbye to spending a fortune on hardware and maintenance. Pretty neat, right?
Now, enter Vontainment. Think of them as your go-to pals for all things Cloud. Whether you’re debating between keeping your apps cozy at home (on an in-house server) or sending them off to a remote server, or maybe a mix of both (yep, that’s the hybrid setup), they’ve got your back. And it’s not just about where to park your digital stuff; it’s also about figuring out if you’re a one-server person or if a multiserver setup is more your style.
Especially for the small business heroes in SW Florida – we’re talking Port Charlotte, Punta Gorda, North Port, Sarasota – the Cloud’s become a game-changer. It’s more affordable than ever, putting those once out-of-reach servers well within your grasp. Vontainment’s here to hook you up with everything from intranets that keep your local network buzzing, to cloud-hosted servers, and even web apps that run right in your browser, doing all the heavy lifting that desktop or mobile software does.
Port Charlotte Cloud Services By Vontainment
Vontainment’s got a whole toolbox ready for you. From keeping your projects on track, managing your finances, to making sure your team’s on the same page (hello, chat systems!), they’ve got an app for almost everything. And it doesn’t stop there. They’re also all about helping you with the nitty-gritty tech stuff like webservers, containerization (think of it as packing your app for a trip so it can run anywhere), and virtualization (creating digital twins of computers, servers, you name it).
Bottom line? Vontainment’s mission is to empower small businesses in SW Florida to harness the Cloud’s potential. Whether you’re diving into web apps, figuring out webservers, exploring containerization, or venturing into virtualization, they’re ready to guide you through. It’s all about boosting productivity and streamlining operations, with a little help from your friends at Vontainment.
- A Cloud VPS (Virtual Private Server) is a virtual machine that runs on a remote server and can be accessed over the internet.
- A Cloud VPS allows you to scale resources up or down as needed, which can be useful for businesses that experience fluctuating demand.
- Cloud VPS can be more cost-effective than running your own in-house server, as you only pay for the resources you use.
- Cloud VPS can be accessed from anywhere with an internet connection, which can be convenient for remote workers or businesses with multiple locations.
- Cloud VPS can be managed through a web-based control panel or via command-line tools.
- Proxmox is an open-source virtualization platform that allows you to run virtual machines and containers on your own hardware.
- Proxmox can be installed on an on-premise server, which means that it is hosted on your own physical hardware rather than a remote server.
- Proxmox provides a web-based management interface that allows you to easily create and configure virtual machines and containers.
- Proxmox supports a range of operating systems, including Linux and Windows, and can be used with a variety of storage options.
- Proxmox offers a range of features, such as live migration, high availability, and backup/restore functionality.
Debian + Docker
- Debian is a popular open-source operating system that is widely used on servers, desktop computers, and embedded devices.
- Docker is a tool that allows you to package and run applications in containers, which can be easily deployed on any machine that has the necessary software to support them.
- When used together, Debian and Docker can provide a lightweight and flexible platform for running applications in containers.
- Docker containers can be easily moved between different machines, which makes it easy to deploy and scale applications.
- Debian + Docker can be a good choice for businesses that want a reliable and customizable platform for running containerized applications.
- A backup server is a computer or network-attached storage device that is used to store copies of data for the purpose of disaster recovery.
- Backup servers can be used to store backups of data from local servers, workstations, or other devices.
- Backup servers can be configured to perform backups on a schedule or in response to specific events, such as changes to data or system failures.
- Backup servers can be configured to store multiple copies of data, using different storage media and retention policies, to ensure that data can be recovered in the event of a disaster.
- Backup servers can be used to restore data to the original location or to a different location, depending on the needs of the business.
- Modoboa is a free and open-source email hosting platform that is built on top of the Django web framework.
- Modoboa provides a web-based interface for managing email domains, users, and aliases, as well as for configuring spam and virus protection.
- Modoboa integrates with popular email clients, such as Outlook and Thunderbird, and supports IMAP, SMTP, and webmail access.
- Modoboa can be used to host multiple email domains and can be easily customized and extended through the use of plugins and extensions.
- Modoboa is designed to be easy to use and can be set up quickly, making it a good choice for businesses that need an email hosting solution that is reliable and flexible.
- Mailcow is an open-source email hosting platform that is based on Docker and provides a web-based interface for managing email domains, users, and aliases.
- Mailcow includes a range of features, such as spam and virus protection, email filtering, and integration with popular email clients.
- Mailcow supports IMAP, SMTP, and webmail access, and can be easily customized and extended through the use of plugins and extensions.
- Mailcow is designed to be easy to use and can be set up quickly, making it a good choice for businesses that need an email hosting solution that is reliable and flexible.
- Mailcow can be used to host multiple email domains and can be run on a variety of hardware and operating systems, including Linux and FreeBSD.
- Nethserver is a free and open-source Linux-based operating system that is designed for use as a server.
- Nethserver includes a range of features, such as a web-based management interface, support for virtualization, and integration with popular cloud storage services.
- Nethserver is designed to be easy to use and can be set up quickly, making it a good choice for businesses that need a reliable and flexible server operating system.
- Nethserver can be used for a variety of purposes, including file and print server, web server, email server, and virtualization host.
- Nethserver is based on CentOS, a popular enterprise-grade Linux distribution, and includes a range of tools and utilities for managing and monitoring the server.
- Nextcloud is an open-source file storage and collaboration platform that is designed to provide a secure and private alternative to services such as Google Drive and Dropbox.
- Nextcloud can be installed on a server and accessed over the internet, or used as a self-hosted solution on a local network.
- Nextcloud includes a range of features, such as file storage, sharing, and collaboration, as well as integration with popular productivity tools, such as calendars and contacts.
- Nextcloud is designed to be easy to use and can be set up quickly, making it a good choice for businesses that need a secure and private solution for storing and collaborating on files.
- Nextcloud can be customized and extended through the use of plugins and extensions, and is supported by a large and active community of developers and users.
Checkout Our Blog For More Business Solutions
Here is a list of some popular open source small business projects on GitHub:
- Odoo: A suite of open source business apps that cover all your company needs: CRM, eCommerce, accounting, inventory, point of sale, project management, etc.
- OpenCart: A free open source eCommerce platform for online merchants.
- InvoicePlane: A self-hosted invoicing system for small to medium sized businesses.
- Sentrifugo: A human resource management system that helps small and medium businesses manage employee information and leave requests.
- Flyve MDM: A mobile device management solution for businesses to secure and monitor their devices.
- DoliWoo: A plugin for the Dolibarr ERP/CRM system that adds eCommerce features.
- OpenERP: A suite of business applications including CRM, HR, project management, and more.
- VTiger: A customer relationship management platform for small and medium businesses.
- Simple Invoices: A web-based invoicing system for small businesses.
- OrangeHRM: A human resource management system for small to medium sized businesses.
Secure Apps And Systems On You LAN
A proxy server is a go‑between or intermediary server that forwards requests for content from multiple clients to different servers across the Internet. A reverse proxy server is a type of proxy server that typically sits behind the firewall in a private network and directs client requests to the appropriate backend server. A reverse proxy provides an additional level of abstraction and control to ensure the smooth flow of network traffic between clients and servers.
Common uses for a reverse proxy server include:
- Load balancing – A reverse proxy server can act as a “traffic cop,” sitting in front of your backend servers and distributing client requests across a group of servers in a manner that maximizes speed and capacity utilization while ensuring no one server is overloaded, which can degrade performance. If a server goes down, the load balancer redirects traffic to the remaining online servers.
- Web acceleration – Reverse proxies can compress inbound and outbound data, as well as cache commonly requested content, both of which speed up the flow of traffic between clients and servers. They can also perform additional tasks such as SSL encryption to take the load off of your web servers, thereby boosting their performance.
- Security and anonymity – By intercepting requests headed for your backend servers, a reverse proxy server protects their identities and acts as an additional defense against security attacks. It also ensures that multiple servers can be accessed from a single record locator or URL regardless of the structure of your local area network.
This is a great tool for any business running self-hosted web applications, remote work systems, or intranets. It can enhance cybersecurity by hiding vulnerable services from direct outside contact. They can be used to host local web applications under a domain or subdomain with full end-to-end encryption. Meaning even if there is a network intruder they can’t read the data.
Enhance Cyber Security With Advanced Firewalls
Network firewalls are security devices used to stop or mitigate unauthorized access to private networks connected to the Internet, especially intranets. The only traffic allowed on the network is defined via firewall policies – any other traffic attempting to access the network is blocked. Network firewalls sit at the front line of a network, acting as a communications liaison between internal and external devices.
A network firewall can be configured so that any data entering or exiting the network has to pass through it – it accomplishes this by examining each incoming message and rejecting those that fail to meet the defined security criteria. When properly configured, a firewall allows users to access any of the resources they need while simultaneously keeping out unwanted users, hackers, viruses, worms, or other malicious programs trying to access the protected network.
There are very affordable options for small businesses. Using a good edge router to protect your network, set up secure segregated guest wifi, quality of service, and other network enhancements.
Local DNS Servers Can Provide Faster, Safer Internet
The Domain Name System (DNS) is a hierarchical and decentralized naming system for computers, services, or other resources connected to the Internet or a private network. It associates various information with domain names assigned to each of the participating entities. Most prominently, it translates more readily memorized domain names to the numerical IP addresses needed for locating and identifying computer services and devices with the underlying network protocols.
By hosting a DNS server on your local network, We can prevent access to dangerous or inappropriate sites by employees or guests. Using lists maintained by cybersecurity companies your server can automatically block the IPs of botnets and malicious software.
On a local network, we are able to map a regular domain name and/or subdomains to your server(s). With external access from the internet optional. For external access, the domain must be obtained from a register like any website’s domain. If it is intended for local use, we can make it anything. Anything or xxx.anything.anything. Though it can’t match a real domain that you intend to visit like amazon.com as it would block access to that website.
Local domains come in handy as you get to your cloud services by domain vs ip. Your team project management system could be at projects.domain.lan and your network file storage at files.domain.lan.
We are able to set up firewalls and routing tables that will block anyone from bypassing your DNS server. We are also able to implement DoH and DoT (DNS over HTTPs & DNS over TLS). This blocks the ability of any hackers or even your ISP from seeing what websites you request. Combined with the fact most websites are HTTPs enabled, no one could see your request (DNS) and no one could read your data stream (HTTPs). Giving you security and privacy.
Remote Access That Is Fast And Secure
We can set up any type of VPN you design including OpenVPN; one of the best know and most used. As well as our favorite options. IKEv2 works on Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, and Android without any extra software by means of OS native settings.
Our other favorite is Wire Guard. It is an extremely simple yet fast and modern VPN that utilizes state-of-the-art cryptography. A VPN that aims to be faster, simpler, leaner, and more useful than IPsec/IKEv2. It is considerably more performant than OpenVPN. Wire Guard is designed as a general-purpose VPN for running on embedded interfaces and super computers alike. Initially released for the Linux kernel, it is now cross-platform (Windows, macOS, BSD, iOS, Android). It is currently under heavy development, but already it is regarded as the most secure, easiest to use, and simplest VPN solution in the industry.
Apps and services that will mostly be used on location, and/or used lightly from remote locations. Services that are accessed remotely but do not involve heavy bandwidth-intensive traffic. Services such as video conferencing if used to communicate with clients or others outside your LAN should be cloud-hosted. File management and storage solutions work in both remote and cloud-hosted settings. Though based on the Number of users, Frequency of use, types, and sizes of files, and other variables can affect performance not just of the file service but of your business’s network. File services should be decided on a case-by-case basis on whether they can be local or should be remotely hosted.
Where file security is of overwhelming concern alternative file solutions that do not sync files can be used. Without sync you can avoid issues on your LAN but allow you to store files encrypted and on-premise.
Vontainment Has Always Been About Security First!
Every website we make uses HTTPS:// for SEO as well as security and includes the following security features:
- Software firewall & antivirus. Prevents hackers, if any malware or hacks are successful and site files are changed the antivirus immediately restores the website’s original files and the firewall blocks the hacker.
- We use the free tier of https://cloudflare.com on all our sites to speed uploading, make sure uptime is 100%, prevent over 10 types of attacks, and adds a second physical firewall between the site and any possible hackers. (mattering on clients’ needs we may suggest a paid tier, but their free plan is best for most small or medium businesses.)
- All code is optimized, kept updated, cleaned, patched, and secured to the best of our abilities (And our abilities are a lot) We take pride in security.
- All sites are backed up twice daily as the last resort if all else failed.
If You’re Looking To Make The Internet Part of Your Business
Let Vontainment help you, it just starts with a call or an email. We can discuss some of your wants, needs, desires, and options. Come set up an appointment for a consultation and come see us or we can come to see you. Let us take your business and website to the next level with cloud services that you can trust and control.