At Vontainment, a web design company in Port Charlotte that serves all of Southwest Florida, we believe in the power of a tool that may sound like a joke: the DNS Server. This tool is anything but laughable as it has the ability to block ads, even in apps, prevent malicious sites, and even speed up your internet. When properly set up, it can also provide parental controls and DNS over HTTPS, which hides a lot of what you do online. It’s a valuable asset for anyone looking to optimize their online experience.
The Pi-hole® is a DNS Server sinkhole that protects your devices from unwanted content, without installing any client-side software.
- Resolute: content is blocked in non-browser locations, such as ad-laden mobile apps and smart TVs
- Responsive: seamlessly speeds up the feel of everyday browsing by caching DNS queries
- Lightweight: runs smoothly with minimal hardware and software requirements
- Robust: a command line interface that is quality assured for interoperability
- Insightful: a beautiful responsive Web Interface dashboard to view and control your Pi-hole
- Versatile: can optionally function as a DHCP server, ensuring all your devices are protected automatically
- Scalable: capable of handling hundreds of millions of queries when installed on server-grade hardware
- Modern: blocks ads over both IPv4 and IPv6
- Free: open source software which helps ensure you are the sole person in control of your privacy
Some notable features include:
- Mobile friendly interface
- Password protection
- Detailed graphs and doughnut charts
- Top lists of domains and clients
- A filterable and sortable query log
- Long Term Statistics to view data over user-defined time ranges
- The ability to easily manage and configure Pi-hole features
Some of the statistics included:
- Total number of domains being blocked
- Total number of DNS queries today
- Total number of ads blocked today
- Percentage of ads blocked
- Unique domains
- Queries forwarded (to your chosen upstream DNS server)
- Queries cached
- Unique client
Why Use DNS-Over-HTTPS?
At Vontainment, a web design company in Port Charlotte serving Southwest Florida, we want to inform you about DNS-Over-HTTPS. This protocol allows for secure DNS lookups using HTTPS, the same protocol you use to browse the web. Unlike standard DNS servers, DNS-Over-HTTPS sends requests in plain-text, making it easy for malicious actors to tamper with responses and redirect your device to fake login pages or other harmful resources. DNS-Over-HTTPS solves this problem by using standard HTTPS requests to retrieve DNS information, making the connection between your device and the DNS server secure and unobservable. However, it’s important to note that upstream DNS-Over-HTTPS providers still have the ability to snoop, monitor, tamper with, or block your connection. Stay protected with DNS-Over-HTTPS.
DNS As Content Filter
With the combination of a Pi-Hole and an affordable EdgeRouter, such as the ERX, you can establish a secure and customizable network. The ERX offers reliable internet connectivity, advanced firewalls, VPN capabilities, a guest network, and the ability to direct all DNS traffic through the Pi-Hole, even if someone attempts to bypass it. This means that you can filter out unwanted domains or simply block all domains by default and only permit those on your allowlist. As a web design company serving Southwest Florida, Vontainment understands the importance of a secure and optimized network for local businesses.
Ad Blocking Network Wide
As a web design company serving Southwest Florida, Vontainment recommends using Pi-Hole DNS Server for effective ad blocking across all devices. Unlike traditional ad blockers that only block ads at the browser level, Pi-Hole blocks unwanted transfers before they even start, saving valuable bandwidth. Additionally, Pi-Hole can help eliminate unwanted background communication that can slow down your internet speed. Best of all, Pi-Hole’s method of blocking makes it appear as if the internet is down or the target is offline, eliminating any potential software errors. Consider using Pi-Hole DNS Server to improve your browsing experience and optimize your website’s performance.
- Security Now Netcast: Pi-hole Oct 13, 2015
- TekThing: Raspberry Pi-Hole Makes Ads Disappear! Dec 18, 2015
- Foolish Tech Show Dec 23, 2015
- Digital Trends: 5 Fun, Easy Projects You Can Try With a $35 Raspberry Pi Mar 22, 2016
- Adafruit: Raspberry Pi Quick Look at Pi Hole ad blocking server with Tony D Jun 20, 2016
- The Defrag Show: Endoscope USB Camera, The Final [HoloLens] Vote, Adblock Pi and more Jan 27, 2016
- Know How 355: Killing ads with a Raspberry Pi-Hole! Nov 9, 2017
- Linus Tech Tips: Block EVERY Online Ad with THIS Aug 28, 201