What Is a Progressive Web App?
Progressive web apps are websites that look and feel like an app. This means users can access all information and capabilities without downloading a mobile app.
Instead, progressive web apps use modern web technology to deliver app-like experiences to users, right in their browsers.
Why Should You Care About Progressive Web Apps?
Progressive web apps successfully help businesses increase conversions, page visits, and session length.
They are a great option for businesses that don’t have the budget to invest in a mobile app.
Other benefits include:
- Improved performance
- Faster loading times
- Engaging user experiences
- Less data use
Vontainment.com is a PWA
Our site is a Progressive web app. once you visit our site the speed at witch the sight loads becomes 10x faster. If you lose internet access you can still load and see our site.
AMP and PWA
Two new technologies that go together well are Google AMP (accelerated mobile pages) and (Progressive web app). Not only do they both speed up and make your site more user friendly, but Google and Bing love both technologies. Get a huge SEO and SERP boost.
What is PWA?
Very simply put, Progressive Web Apps are Web Pages or Web Apps that looks like a mobile app, with similar interactions and navigations. They use a collection of design concepts, latest features that modern browsers support, technologies and Web APIs that work in tandem to offer the best of websites and mobile apps. These are an advanced form of Responsive web apps with additional features of an app. They allow users to make use of the latest features supported by modern browsers in their mobile responsive website, to give an app like experience on the mobile web.
Features of PWA
- Responsive- Compatible with any device (desktop, mobile, tablet, including the ones yet to come).
- Progressive- Work for all users irrespective of their browser choice.
- Connectivity-Work Offline or on poor networks.
- Up-to-date- the service worker update process ensures current, with offline functionality, push notifications, content caching, background content updating and lot more.
- Content loading- Faster load time with App Shell, a design concept.
- Secure- Accessed via https to ensure safe content and to prevent spying.
- Supported native features- appearing in apps list, hardware-accelerated 2D/3D graphics via WebGL or HTML5 Canvas, smooth UIs with 60fps animations, launch in fullscreen, clipboard access, accessing the filesystem and reading user selected files in any browser
- Shareable- Share easily with urls, and doesn’t require installations.
- Bookmark- Users can bookmark and pin their favorite apps to their home screen without the hassle of installing these from an app store. Studies show that each additional click required to use ‘an app’ results in a 20% user drop off, which is a major hindrance that prevents users from trying a native application. With Progressive web apps there is fewer clicks and more convenience for users.
What is AMP?
AMP focuses on improving page-stacking execution and perusing experience of a website on cell phones. Furthermore, subsequently, we get a plain page with just the significant data without many extravagant highlights contrasted with other HTML pages. It disposes of information multiple times from a typical website or application that isn’t so valuable for a bustling data searcher, to convey the enlightening substance in the quickest conceivable time.
Google cites “AMP plans to improve the exhibition of the portable web significantly. We need web pages with rich substance like video, movements, and illustrations to work close by savvy promotions, and to stack quickly and needs this innovation stage autonomous in any way.”
Features of AMP
• Lowers page load time and speeds up the website
• Enhances mobile SEO and keyword rankings in mobile devices
• Website publishers have full control over the visual and business design
AMP as passage point into your PWA
AMP’s one of a kind selling point is the nearly moment conveyance, a trademark that makes AMP the ideal fit for the main client cooperation with your site. Dynamic web applications empower considerably more intuitiveness and commitment empowering highlights, yet their first burden is impeded by the way that the webpage’s Service Worker, and in this way its advantages and application shell, are just quickening conveyance on consequent burdens.
A decent technique is to make the passage point into your site an AMP page, at that point warm up the PWA in the background and change to it for the ahead voyage.
“As standalone technologies, AMP and PWA have inherent limitations,” said Miner. Pages render fast but lack functionality, while PWAs start slow, but offer the reliable and rich experience of a native app. By combining the two, the limitations are not only overcome but a superior experience is created. Progressive Web AMPs align both technologies to ensure customers start fast and stay fast throughout the shopping experience.”
Progressive Web AMPs dominate over legacy PWAs
Legacy PWAs only solves half the battle, as page-load speed is variable. The advent of Progressive Web AMPs –using Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP) as the data source for your PWA – solves that problem by delivering ultra-portable, embeddable content units that are guaranteed to load instantly.
“All it takes is 3 seconds of load time to lose most of your users,” said Miner. “On mobile, milliseconds matter, and Progressive Web AMPs offer the fastest page loads possible.”
Combining AMP in PWA: How does it work?
The combination of AMP and PWA creates a seamless solution that offers a performant, elegant and user-centric experience.
The PWA app shell features a persistent header and menu – just like a native app – that loads AMP pages as the content source. AMP pages, in turn, are used as a lightweight, pre-rendered and pre-cached pages that load instantly throughout the customer journey. Also, by using a Service Worker – a script that intercepts network requests and provides caching and offline access – a whole new set of powerful features is possible, including:
- Offline browsing for users who experience intermittent network connectivity;
- Instant, sub 1-second page loads with background updates;
- Flexible and strategic caching; and
- Push notifications
New AMP Stories
Supported Platforms, Vendors and Partners
A growing number of platforms, vendors, and partners support the AMP Project by providing custom components or offering integration with AMP pages within their platforms.
- Ad Generation
- Acquia Lift
- Adobe Analytics
- AFS Analytics
- Alexa Internet
- AT Internet
- Baidu Analytics
- Clicky Web Analytics
- Eulerian Analytics
- Facebook Pixel
If your interested in leaning more?
Contact us and see what we can do for you.
The lists of AMP ( accelerated mobile pages) integrations is so long we can’t fit it. But you can see more here https://amp.dev/support/faq/platform-and-vendor-partners/